Top Tips for Travelling on a Budget
Travelling is the number one favourite past time for a lot of us, but it can get terrifyingly expensive. Between accommodation, flights, and sightseeing, the costs build up fast; and that’s before you even get to see anything! So here are my top tips for travelling on a budget to allow you to see the world cheaply!
- Choose Airbnb over hotels!
- Stay with family or friends abroad
- Stay in a hostel or couch surf from place to place
- Go camping or stay in a caravan/holiday home
- Consider housesitting for someone in a different country
- Book cheaper flights!
- Pack lightly to save on baggage costs!
- Buy a rail pass to travel quickly and cheaply
- Use public transport but don’t use taxis
- Consider renting a bicycle
- Travel outside of tourist season
- Make specific plans and stick to them
- Buy a city pass and get into a lot of attraction for free
- Visit free galleries and museums, and take part in free walking tours
- Go to national state parks
- Make the most of hostel/hotel meal times
- Eat in places off the beaten track; they have better and cheaper food
- Go to a supermarket and make your own meals
- Bring snacks and light meals with you
- Become friends with the locals and eat where they eat
- Volunteer/Work for a charity
- Take part in an exchange program
- Teach English abroad
- Work in hostels in return for board
- Become an au pair or dog sitter